Thursday, September 1, 2016

The Gypsy Wanders: Arizona Trail

Kind readers (yes, that is plural, as it is addressed to both my mother and my father):

Your author, ever eager to wander will soon be fortunate enough to do just that. My employment came to a merciful close this past week. All of my worldly goods will be tucked away into the wee automobile and stored at a friend's house, except for those few items I need to support my bag of bones while thru-hiking the Arizona Trail. The nearly two years I've spent in Kodiak will conclude and I will be set loose upon the unsuspecting firmament.  

What is this magical trail I speak of? How is it magical? You've asked the right questions! I knew you, my readers, were intelligent, the moment you clicked into this website. Let me spin you some truth.


The Arizona Trail is an 800 mile multi-use route stretching from Utah to Mexico. Completed in 2011, it is the most recent addition to this country's long-distance routes. Despite being such a young upstart, its magical nature has already been recognized, with a designation as a National Scenic Trail, joining such storied greats as the Appalachian Trail, Pacific Coast Trail and Continental Divide Trail (also known as The Triple Crown).

Here's a detailed description of the landscapes traversed by this trail, straight from the horse's mouth, aka, The Arizona Trail Association:

"[T]he path climbs and descends from one "sky island" mountain range to another, gaining and losing thousands of feet in elevation and traversing biomes ranging from desert to boreal forest. Continuing across the Sonoran Desert, the route crosses the Gila River, winds through the Superstition Mountains and the Mazatzal Wilderness on its way to the Mogollon Rim and majestic San Francisco Peaks. The trail north takes travelers across the Grand Canyon through billions of years of geology. Topping out on the North Rim, conifer forests dominate the Kaibab Plateau, eventually giving way to red bluffs dotted with sagebrush as the trail nears the Utah border on the edge of the Vermilion Cliffs National Monument. It is the backbone of Arizona."

Typical conditions, necessary gear, and trip planning for the Arizona Trail can be found here. My setup is similar, though mostly older with a few new items, so I'm not quite as light as this professional hiker. Primary difference is that this hiker went northbound, in the spring; and I will be going southbound, in the fall.

At the risk of cluttering this blog (sorry, mom and dad), I'll be posting brief updates when I have internet access, while journeying south, without much editing or formatting. Join me for the adventure, starting September 6. Bon voyage to Kodiak; greetings to Arizona!

No comments:

Post a Comment